Sunday, January 2, 2011

Lessons From Josh

For those of you who may be unaware of Josh Groban's musical ability, you should probably go look him up and don't be embarrassed, I won't scoff at you too hard.  Not only does he have a sexy sunday voice (that one's for you Katie), he also has amazingly inspiring songs that have helped me through so many hard times. My personal favorites
1. O Holy Night: There is not much I can say about this song other than it is one of my very favorite Christmas songs.
2. Thankful: I listened to Thankful a million times while I was in Changzhou, China, because it is true, we have much to be thankful for.
3. You Raise Me Up: Not only does You Raise Me Up have a great violin solo, the words are powerful when you imagine Jesus Christ singing those words as you are going through struggles and challenges you just don't feel you are capable of bearing. I listened to this song while I was on Spring Summit.
4. You Are Loved: I listened to this song many times during my last semester at college. While it was an amazing experience, there were many times when I felt like throwing in the towel and giving up. Then I remembered how many people around me loved me and would give anything to help me, as the song says "don't give up, you are loved"
5. And finally his newest addition "Hidden Away" (posted below for your viewing pleasure): I realize that this song is probably intended more as a romantic song, but I feel as though it can be used in any relationship, friend, parent, roommate, lover, etc.  This song reminds me of a conversation I had on Spring Summit with the dear Dave Holladay. We, as humans, are so reserved and timid to tell others that we love them. Perhaps because we are embarrassed or nervous that they might think we are weird. But who doesn't like recieving a complimant and feeling like they are loved? I think Josh says it best when he says,

 "And all these words that you meant to say
Held in silence day after day
Words of kindness that our poor hearts crave
Please, don't keep them hidden away"



The above mentioned songs all have AMAZING messages.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment